Date Registered: 13 October 2015
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
darklogic's Groups
darklogic's Contact & Social Links
I have this green box in the map called a probe and I have no idea what it is doing. The only thing I know allegedly does is fix ghosting, does it do anything else?
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 12 September 2016
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
reckfullies's Groups
reckfullies's Contact & Social LinksReckfulliesReckfullies
I have this green box in the map called a probe and I have no idea what it is doing. The only thing I know allegedly does is fix ghosting, does it do anything else?

A reflection probe is absolutely required whether you have ghosting or not. This probe enables proper reflections and lighting, without it your map will probably look really bad because shadows will be messed up and there won't be any reflections(working ones at least).

It isn't just a green box floating either, make sure you have one in each room and that it is touching each of the walls so it covers and has a line of sight to everything.
Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 04:57:20 pm by reckfullies
Location: gbEurasian Plate, The Crust, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way
Date Registered: 4 November 2014
Last active: 11 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Mod Tools Tutorial Creator YouTube.com/IceGrenade
Signature
YouTuber Call of Duty Mod Tools Tutorial Creator on YouTube.com/IceGrenade
IceGrenade's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
A reflection probe is absolutely required

That's a bit of an overstatement. Yeah it will make your map look x100 better... but it's not a requirement for a functional map. You do not need to lecuture me on the importance of probes. I do not disagree that they are very important to making a good map and that mappers should definately learn to use them correctly.
Date Registered: 1 March 2013
Last active: 3 days ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
2015 Contest Winner
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Caw caw caw
johndoe's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
2015 Contest Winner
johndoe's Contact & Social Linksmyc153-johndoe
reflection probes (or cubemaps in general), is used to generate prebaked reflections in levels. when a map is being compiled, the compiler takes low res pictures from all 6 sides of reflection probes and saves them. when you're in game, it chooses the closest reflection probe to you and uses those images as fake reflections on the surfaces around you. it is a very economic method compared to live reflections (haven't seen a game that uses live reflections anyways. except for duke nukem and quake 3 lol).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Zawe7e9BE

you can see how they work in this video (watch it until 1:55).
Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 07:01:12 pm by johndoe

Loading ...