UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

Fitting the rotation of a texture to a rotated brush?

broken avatar :(
Created 7 years ago
by Canadischesieben
Date Registered: 6 October 2016
Last active: 7 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Canadischesieben's Contact & Social Links
How can I fit the rotation of a texture to the rotation of a brush like in the prefab of the stair in Giant?

(Right brush is from the prefab)

Date Registered: 7 March 2014
Last active: 2 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
MZslayer11's Groups
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
MZslayer11's Contact & Social LinksMZslayer11Service_Code_30#2655
With the brush face selected, press s to bring up the surface inspector. There you can rotate and scale the texture to fit.
Marked as best answer by Canadischesieben 7 years ago
Date Registered: 11 November 2016
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Treyarch Developer
My Groups
More
More
CornrowWallace's Groups
Treyarch Developer
CornrowWallace's Contact & Social LinksCornrow_Wallace
You can wrap the texture around a corner of a brush. In some cases this will work, in other cases it pays to just make the geo a terrain mesh and use Set in the Surface Inspector.

To wrap: alt+mousewheel click on the top (flat) surface (it will select the face), then alt+mousewheel click on the angled surface. This takes the guesswork out of trying to find the correct angle in Surface Inspector and saves a lot of time.

There's a similar function in Surface Inspector for terrain, called Forward Wrap. It will wrap the texture around 2 meshes as though they were merged.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
You can wrap the texture around a corner of a brush. In some cases this will work, in other cases it pays to just make the geo a terrain mesh and use Set in the Surface Inspector.

To wrap: alt+mousewheel click on the top (flat) surface (it will select the face), then alt+mousewheel click on the angled surface. This takes the guesswork out of trying to find the correct angle in Surface Inspector and saves a lot of time.

There's a similar function in Surface Inspector for terrain, called Forward Wrap. It will wrap the texture around 2 meshes as though they were merged.

Now I have that problem. Can I fit the texture to the surface like on the left brush? Horizontal and vertical fitting doesn't work well.
OnionmanVere Bo21
Date Registered: 27 September 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
ok
Signature
Aye mate you don't know me so y don't you shut tf up ok buddy :)

Scobalula's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Scobalula's Contact & Social Links
Usually what I do in this situation is create a brush, line up the texture on it how I'd like, and then rotate it to the same angle as the brush I am trying to get the texture to look right on (when you rotate a brush, the texture doesn't mess up), and then set the face/s to that.

This gif should show better:

Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Usually what I do in this situation is create a brush, line up the texture on it how I'd like, and then rotate it to the same angle as the brush I am trying to get the texture to look right on (when you rotate a brush, the texture doesn't mess up), and then set the face/s to that.

This gif should show better:

(Image removed from quote.)

What had you pressed to set the texture on the face?
OnionmanVere Bo21
Date Registered: 27 September 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
ok
Scobalula's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Scobalula's Contact & Social Links
What had you pressed to set the texture on the face?

Middle mouse button.
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Date Registered: 11 November 2016
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Treyarch Developer
My Groups
More
More
CornrowWallace's Groups
Treyarch Developer
CornrowWallace's Contact & Social LinksCornrow_Wallace
The solution Scobalula proposed isn't bad, one which I've used in the past as well. However, I'd like to propose my most commonly used solution to this problem.

Note: this will only work if the angled brush is truly the same size as the straight brush.

Ideally, your brush would be naturally sized so you can apply the texture and it automatically fits, no need for Surface Inspector at all. If not, you can use the Set option first.

It's pretty simple: you want to wrap the texture from 1 to 2, then 2 to 3, then finally 3 to 4.

Loading ...