Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime

Industrial Estate is a bit of a letdown.

I had just noticed a brand-spanking-new map -- Industrial Estate! I thought to myself

“Wow! I bet this one will be really nice! An estate, imagine that. Perhaps a rich, nineteenth-century industrialist’s luxurious manor? Hell, with a name like that it’s GOT to be lovely. I’m so tired of having to kill zombies in dark dungeons, filthy factories, and blown-out bunkers. It’s time I got to go somewheres nice for a change!”

I immediately downloaded without so much as a second thought or a mere glance at the thread.

Booting the map up I was absolutely crushed. There was no beautiful estate. No dark hardwood floors, no crackling fireplace, no impoverished servants at my beck-and-call.

Instead I was greeted with a gritty view of a rust-belt factory. Rotting bricks, cold concrete floors, and graffiti swam through my eyes. Godammit, if I wanted THIS I could just take the local AMTRAC down to East Cleveland! Why, why do I never get to have nice things?!

DETAIL [7/10]

Alright, the map DOES look pretty good. For a piece of urban refuse, that is. The facility gives off a convincing aura of ruin, of a downward spiral -- much like M. Night Shyamalan's film career after The Sixth Sense.

You can tell that a lot of attention was given to every area of the map -- wooden planks, rusty tools, and plastic bottles are layered on thicker than Bruce (sorry, I mean Caitlyn) Jenner’s makeup.

However, the lighting is a massive disappointment. It’s just the usual WAW fullbright. Boooooring. Like any abandoned building, the factory has an inherent “creepy” factor that could’ve been brought out with a nighttime sky. Instead, a sunny afternoon kills any sense of dread you may have harbored.

So, I shall ruthlessly deduct 3 points for “Failure to Properly Light Map”, and I will continue to do so for EVERY map that presents such insolence.

CUSTOM CONTENT [9/10]

Spinning the box for the first time is like running dick-first into a brick wall.

Erm, wait, wrong simile.

Spinning the box for the first time is like diving head-first into a pool of Jell-O. There are just so many previously-unknown sensations engulfing you, it’s hard not to get dizzy. Watching fantastically ported guns from uncharted territory, such as AW and Ghosts, whirling by will fill you with absolute giddiness -- and that’s before you even pull your prize out!

The map also features a wide variety of enemies -- super-sprinters, nova crawlers in two flavors, and even freaking juggernauts (again, in two flavors!)

All of the new enemies are well thought-out, and serve as delightful targets for the absurdly powerful weaponry you’ll be wielding.

This is all rounded out by two buildables, an Ammo-Matic perk machine, and the Zombie Blood powerup.

So, why am I docking a point? Well, all of this stuff is very, very nice…

But the map ITSELF lacks any custom features. No traps, no transportation, no custom tweaks to gameplay. It’s just your standard “Buy doors, get to PaP” layout, and that really hurts it.

Also, the PaP camo is absolutely horrific. Please, if you’re gonna use something that bad just stick with the default WAW one instead.

FUN SCALE [7/10]

Unfortunately, the map is tipsier than a white girl at a bachelorette party. The difficulty swings bizarrely -- the map starts out easy, with the starting wallbuys quickly dispatching zombies. Then, in the mid-game, it spikes up suddenly as sprinters, novas, and juggernauts are introduced. Lastly, we see the challenge fade as you acquire super-powerful guns and tear shit up.

This uneven curve is the result of a couple of factors. The prime culprits are the buildables and the map’s small size.

Since there’s relatively few blockers, the entire map can be opened up very quickly. What does this mean? Well, it means that you can get yourself a Sliquifier and zombie shield really damn fast, that’s what! And that right there is the problem with buildables -- they give you something for nothing. Reward players not for their skill, but for the amount of time they spend running around looking for tiny parts.

So, you can open up the map quite quickly, carried by the strength of your starting weapon. So, you get Jug and your buildables before the zombies are able to effectively cope with such strength.

Then the novas, juggernauts, and sprinters hit you like a ten-ton truck. I had several attempts that featured a very strong early-game with a ton of points and all of the barriers open, only to end instantly as I was bombarded by these enemies while still trying to learn my training spot.

But that’s ok -- I love a challenge! I feel like more maps should punish you, force you into attempting them multiple times. Hopefully I don’t sound too much like some sort of masochist yet. Anyway, the issue is that the early game isn’t as hard as what you’ll run into here, and neither is the late game.

If you weather the shitstorm of brutal enemies, you’ll get enough points to spin the box, PaP, and grab more perks. It’s then you realize just how easy the map really is -- you’ll be melting zombies like marshmallows stuck in microwaves. The juggernauts quickly become a source of free Max Ammos and Death Machines, and I ended up being more grateful for their arrival than anything else.

In closing: this map goes from soft to hard to flaccid waaay too quickly, much like an old man wi…

Uh, let’s just drop that comparison now.

REPLAYABILITY [7/10]

The map’s small size lends itself to many fast, simple playthroughs. You can just fire it up, play it to Round 20, and be done with it. It’s like a one-night stand that doesn’t end with your partner getting pregnant.

Unfortunately, the buildables and linear path through the map lead to very limited player choice, so if you give it another go, expect to do it the srem way you did it the first time.

In closing, Industrial Estate is a great map. It’s a bit too small and erratic, like a bipolar midget, but it does its job nicely and will provide several hours of quality entertainment.

DETAIL [7/10]
CUSTOM CONTENT [9/10]
FUN SCALE [7/10]
REPLAYABILITY [7/10]

OVERALL [30/40] -- Give it a go!

Link: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,7842.0.html
Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:25:05 am by ShotgunRagtime
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 6 August 2013
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
More
Signature
Projects:
Unnamed Project: 5%
Mutliple Downloadable Items for Mappers: (Released after map releases)
GerardS0406's Groups
GerardS0406's Contact & Social LinksGerardS0406Gerard0406GerardS0406MrGerard0406
I really like the review but I thought the replayability should've been higher in my opinion as it makes you want to get to high rounds and if you die you just want to keep getting back into the action to see what you did wrong and see what you can improve on making you want to play on and on and on. This is my opinion but overall this was a great review ;)
Date Registered: 21 February 2014
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime
I really like the review but I thought the replayability should've been higher in my opinion as it makes you want to get to high rounds and if you die you just want to keep getting back into the action to see what you did wrong and see what you can improve on making you want to play on and on and on. This is my opinion but overall this was a great review ;)
Thanks!

I feel like the replayability was solid, don't get me wrong. I weigh my scores a bit differently than some other people. In my reviews, 5 is average, 6 is good, and 7 is very good.

I'm going to try and play some more maps in coop before reviewing, and see if my friend wants to replay them or not. That would offer a good second opinion on a map's replayability.
Date Registered: 6 August 2013
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
More
GerardS0406's Groups
GerardS0406's Contact & Social LinksGerardS0406Gerard0406GerardS0406MrGerard0406
Okay, glad to hear how you grade them ;)
Date Registered: 7 February 2015
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Donations massively appreciated: paypal.me/DanT98
Signature
Stranded
Nacht Der Untoten: Reimagined
Encampment
Encampment V2: BO3 Mod

Mapper and Weapon Porter - I release what I can of my work for the community to enjoy :)
ProRevenge's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
ProRevenge's Contact & Social LinksProRevenge
Sorry but some of these should be 8/9, if not 10. The map is very fun due to the huge amount of content, and bosses.
Weapon variety is huge, which in my eyes is a good reason to play the map several times, to try em all out, Replayability and fun scale would both be 9 in my eyes.

Everyone has an opinion though I guess, nice review :)
Date Registered: 23 April 2015
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Signature
Money isn't everything but everything has a price
Eternal_Fire's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Eternal_Fire's Contact & Social Links
Sorry but some of these should be 8/9, if not 10. The map is very fun due to the huge amount of content, and bosses.
Weapon variety is huge, which in my eyes is a good reason to play the map several times, to try em all out, Replayability and fun scale would both be 9 in my eyes.

Amen.
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000

2x amen
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
Hmm, on second thought maybe you should give this reviewing lark a miss Ragtime... :-\

There's a lot I disagree with, but I'll just pick out my favourites. :)

Do you know what the word 'industrial' means? Why on Earth would you be expecting "dark hardwood floors, crackling fireplace, impoverished servants"? Baffling.

"Like any abandoned building, the factory has an inherent “creepy” factor that could’ve been brought out with a nighttime sky. Instead, a sunny afternoon kills any sense of dread you may have harbored." I thought I'd go for a nice bright map, rather than, you know, EVERY OTHER MAP. " It’s just the usual WAW fullbright. Boooooring" - can you name me some other bright maps? I'm struggling to think of any TBH.

And you originally gave it 7/10 for custom content? Less than Labyrinth?  :-\

I'd give your review a 4/10.

Date Registered: 2 April 2014
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
If it's not perfect, you'll never see it.
Signature
Learn by doing, not copy and pasting.

Enjoy my 2015 contest map, a simple map with bo1-bo2 features
http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php?topic=14968.msg149200#
Centric's Groups
Centric's Contact & Social Linkscentricccentric_
I'll be completely honest here, when I started reading this review I thought it was supposed to be in the humorous review sections because of how much you bashed Some of the good features...
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
This was my take as seen on ZomMods.

Created by: StevieWonder

The Basics: Somehow Stevie managed to perfectly depict the location I grew up in right down to the placement of the dumpsters where I would sleep and look for food. And while the people following you in this map are more aggressive than my neighbors I still think we smelled worse than these guys here.

What We Liked: Stevie's work at creating a small industrial map is masterful and is a great preview to the kind of wonders that we can expect from his upcoming map Oil Rig. The map looks bright and attractive while capturing a gritty rundown section of warehouses and back-alleys. The guns are probably the star of the show with everything that you could imagine being thrown into the mystery box as well as some really nice guns on the wall too. The buildable Shield and Sliquifier were a blast and gave you an extra boost of offense and defense which you will need because the enemies are merciless. There are the Juggernaut Bosses, Super Sprinting zombies as well as teleporting, EMP and jumping Nova Crawlers. Yea, if you don't have a plan you're gunu die.

What We Didn't Like: Nothing really to dislike here. Maybe the lack of things to do as it's only a survival map – no real objective or buyable ending.

The Final Word: This map is a lot of fun and as with all maps is more fun with friends. So if you're interested in a back-alley beauty who will treat you right while smelling oh so wrong then this is the place you want to be.
Date Registered: 7 March 2014
Last active: 2 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
MZslayer11's Contact & Social LinksMZslayer11Service_Code_30#2655
Do you know what the word 'industrial' means? Why on Earth would you be expecting "dark hardwood floors, crackling fireplace, impoverished servants"? Baffling.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the beginning. His misunderstanding of the setting of the map should not dock points.

However, the lighting is a massive disappointment. It’s just the usual WAW fullbright. Boooooring. Like any abandoned building, the factory has an inherent “creepy” factor that could’ve been brought out with a nighttime sky. Instead, a sunny afternoon kills any sense of dread you may have harbored.

So, I shall ruthlessly deduct 3 points for “Failure to Properly Light Map”, and I will continue to do so for EVERY map that presents such insolence.

I completely disagree with this. A daytime map is a welcome sight in my eyes. I can only think of a handful of maps that use daytime setting and I thought it  was very nice looking. It certainly looks a hell of alot better than most maps lighting.

Reviewer, you need to remember this; this map was meant to be a small, fun, survival map and was made in a very short period of time and still it has more features, better map detail, and replayability than half the maps that come out nowdays. Maby you need to go back and review your review.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
This was my take as seen on ZomMods.

Created by: StevieWonder

The Basics: Somehow Stevie managed to perfectly depict the location I grew up in right down to the placement of the dumpsters where I would sleep and look for food. And while the people following you in this map are more aggressive than my neighbors I still think we smelled worse than these guys here.

What We Liked: Stevie's work at creating a small industrial map is masterful and is a great preview to the kind of wonders that we can expect from his upcoming map Oil Rig. The map looks bright and attractive while capturing a gritty rundown section of warehouses and back-alleys. The guns are probably the star of the show with everything that you could imagine being thrown into the mystery box as well as some really nice guns on the wall too. The buildable Shield and Sliquifier were a blast and gave you an extra boost of offense and defense which you will need because the enemies are merciless. There are the Juggernaut Bosses, Super Sprinting zombies as well as teleporting, EMP and jumping Nova Crawlers. Yea, if you don't have a plan you're gunu die.

What We Didn't Like: Nothing really to dislike here. Maybe the lack of things to do as it's only a survival map – no real objective or buyable ending.

The Final Word: This map is a lot of fun and as with all maps is more fun with friends. So if you're interested in a back-alley beauty who will treat you right while smelling oh so wrong then this is the place you want to be.
Maybe you should do a proper review Tom and show these new reviewers on the block how it's supposed to be done. :)
Date Registered: 11 May 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
Signature
DeathBringerZen's Groups
Maby you need to go back and review your review.

A review is an opinion. You can't tell someone to go back and change their opinion. It is theirs and not necessarily supposed to be shared by everyone. Do you agree with every review you read for games, films, music etc? No, because it is personal opinion and nothing more.

That being said, I have tried the map and think it is amazing. I would have definitely given it a higher score myself but I accept that others will have different opinions to mines. Just a bit disappointed Stevie released this before Oil Rig as a lot of the best features in Oil Rig are now spoilt by being shown early in this maps but that does not take anything away from Oil Rig and I expect it to be hailed as one of the best things to happen to this scene upon releases.

Should be a matter of days away now. :D
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
Just a bit disappointed Stevie released this before Oil Rig as a lot of the best features in Oil Rig are now spoilt by being shown early in this maps

And Daleks vids didnt spoil them at all? :D
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 24 hours ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Signature
The greatest failure is not to try and fail, but is to fail without trying.
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
You know what, I'd give the map 50/40 if it wasn't for that juggernaut with a minigun guy  :troll:

Loading ...