Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
Projects:
Unnamed Project: 5%
Mutliple Downloadable Items for Mappers: (Released after map releases)
GerardS0406's Groups
GerardS0406's Contact & Social LinksGerardS0406Gerard0406GerardS0406MrGerard0406
STEAM MACHINE, PROS, CONS?

So as the Steam Machine is coming around the corner. I want to ask what you guys think of it. Do you think it will be a good thing or a bad thing.

If you have absolutely no clue what I'm talking about, go here: http://store.steampowered.com/universe/machines

Personally, I'm really excited and really need this machine. I don't have a decent pc as I can only run WaW at 15 fps or lower. You know what that means right. I need a new computer. Since this is basically a gaming computer but comes with it's own controller (you can also use keyboard and mouse also), this would act as my new computer ;)

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK BELOW!
Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 04:06:33 am by GerardS0406
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 21 December 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
More
Signature
The sound of God is the screech of tires, lights and magnets, bolts and wires. Strayed from the road, this very one, still to come. The sound of tires is the sound of God, the electric version.
mrpeanut188's Groups
mrpeanut188's Contact & Social Linksmrpeanut1881337p34nutmrpeanut188
Are you buying the 500$ one? That one looks like it's decently priced for what it is, just needs a stronger processor.
Date Registered: 6 August 2013
Last active: 5 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
More
GerardS0406's Groups
GerardS0406's Contact & Social LinksGerardS0406Gerard0406GerardS0406MrGerard0406
Are you buying the 500$ one? That one looks like it's decently priced for what it is, just needs a stronger processor.
I don't know which one yet. there's one for $5000 xD Very pricey
Date Registered: 7 March 2014
Last active: 2 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
MZslayer11's Contact & Social LinksMZslayer11Service_Code_30#2655
Imo, you could build a pc for $500 that's way more powerful than that steam machine would be. Plus steam os has limitations and not all games are able to be run on it. Steam boxes are more for being connected to a tv and used with a controller rather than being at a desk with a moniter and keyboard. It certainly has its uses, but I can't see myself buying one.
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
World at War won't run on SteamOS(not without Wine anyway) so unless your going to buy a copy of Windows, you ain't going to be playing World at War on it.

Otherwise, SteamOS is dead on arrival. Linux drivers are absolute crap and the only games really supported are small indie games. It doesn't even have third party app support(Netflix, Hulu, etc), which is partially why people still buy consoles.

All in all, the only thing anyone should buy is the $50 steam link for in-house streaming and/or the controller.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
More
GerardS0406's Groups
I did not know all of these details. dang. I may have to just buy a pc which is more expensive sadly depending on what I want. I sure don't want a slow pc that runs waw at 15 fps at max. Any suggestions?... ;/
Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 05:36:27 pm by GerardS0406
OnionmanVere Bo21
Date Registered: 27 September 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Mapper
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
ok
Signature
Aye mate you don't know me so y don't you shut tf up ok buddy :)

Scobalula's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Box Mappers Elite
Box Mappers Elite
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Scobalula's Contact & Social Links
I did not know all of these details. dang. I may have to just buy a pc which is more expensive sadly depending on what I want. I sure don't want a slow pc that runs waw at 15 fps at max. Any suggestions?... ;/

It depends, you may just be fine by buying a new graphics card, if all you want to do is play WaW at High FPS (maybe few other titles) then a new GPU might be a simple, cheaper alternative, what are your current specs do you know?
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
It depends, you may just be fine by buying a new graphics card, if all you want to do is play WaW at High FPS (maybe few other titles) then a new GPU might be a simple, cheaper alternative, what are your current specs do you know?

Unless he has a laptop. Otherwise, upgrading RAM and GPU would be a good idea, depending on the rest of your system.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
More
GerardS0406's Groups
I'm just looking to get a brand new desktop or gaming laptop. I currently have a Compaq Presario CQ57 Laptop (Yea I know it's old)
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
I'm just looking to get a brand new desktop or gaming laptop. I currently have a Compaq Presario CQ57 Laptop (Yea I know it's old)

Gaming laptops are overpriced and underpowered. I wouldn't reccomend them unless you need the mobility.
Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 09:06:28 pm by MZslayer11
Date Registered: 11 May 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
Signature
DeathBringerZen's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.

Yeah, I would go for a desktop and avoid the gaming laptops. The cost alone should convince you and upgrading a desktop is much easier also.
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
The r7 240 is pretty bad, but it'll run WaW better than some crappy laptop lol. Also getting more than 4 GB of RAM is highly recommended.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230032&cm_sp=Homepage_BS-_-P1_83-230-032-_-08302015

If you want a better GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487159&cm_re=950-_-14-487-159-_-Product

or cheaper even:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487028&cm_re=750_ti_ftw-_-14-487-028-_-Product

Pretty good deal, but you could find an even better one by searching on Newegg.

Edit: also forgot to mention, the case allows for easy expansion and future upgrades. So if you want a more beefy GPU like a 960 or 970 you should be good with a new power supply.
Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:06:13 am by daedra descent
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
More
GerardS0406's Groups
K I watched a video over this pc and he also replaced the gpu so I'll have to do that. Thanks for showing me this computer dd.
Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 12:10:34 am by GerardS0406
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
UGX Site Moderator
My Groups
More
More
MZslayer11's Groups
Not sure if your into building a PC, but here is a solid option.
https://youtu.be/x7OIOnAavC0
This is pretty much the same build I'm gonna do but I'm gonna swap the gpu for a gtx 960.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
More
GerardS0406's Groups
That has me interested also. Since BO3 is coming out soon. Idk which one would run it better cause I'm not into computer specs. Does anyone else know?

Loading ...