Last active: 5 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Personal Quote
I Love Games Me!
Signature
"Just because we have the biggest hammer, doesn't mean every problem is a nail!"
WhiskyLima's Groups
WhiskyLima's Contact & Social Links
Hey all. Another one for you. I'm trying to create a smallish map with a number of rooms. Each room has a light which I wanted to be a primary spot or omni so that shadows are cast. I read somewhere that your not supposed to overlap the radius of the two lights so that you don't get odd shadows in the map however doing this means I have very small light radius' (about 150 - 175) and the shadows are not being cast as a result. if I do make the radius bigger and the two do overlap I'm getting this shadow effect as you can see on the floor.

I suppose I'm looking for some advanced information on how to setup lighting correctly. How do you guys create nice lighting effects with shadows and no nasty problems?

Thanks again everyone!

EDIT: Hey guys, having done a bit more digging around with this , I have found that most people are not using that many primary lights in there maps it would seem (correct me if im wrong). Im now exploring the possibility of having light come in through the windows to provide the primary light from a sunlight but not yet sure how I will tackle that. Any lighting help or suggestions would be most appreciated
Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:02:27 pm by Alerion
This topic contains a post which is marked as the Best Answer. Click here to view it.
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 9 August 2015
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Personal Quote
I Love Games Me!
WhiskyLima's Groups
Ok Another Update for you all, I have placed a sun in the map but for some reason its not lighting up my brushes. I can see the effect of the sun hitting my static models and it looks great but it's not effecting the brushes. How do I fix that?
  • DeletedUser
  • Deleted Member
DeletedUser
This user is deleted :(
do you have a reflection probe in your map and also you may end up having to use lights in your map to light it up
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Personal Quote
I Love Games Me!
WhiskyLima's Groups
Hey Thanks for your reply. I have improved the lighting situation with some basic lights in the rooms and it looks great now, I have attached an image of the issue i'm having with the sunlight. It doesn't seem to be effecting the brushes but can clearly be seen here hitting the table. Why is that?

Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Personal Quote
I Love Games Me!
WhiskyLima's Groups
Ok I have tried everything I can think of. I have even put some brushes "outside" so that nothing obstructs the light but still no dice. It will not project sunlight on any brushes in the map.. please help  :-[
Marked as best answer by WhiskyLima 9 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Legless Crawler
Primary Group
Personal Quote
I Love Games Me!
WhiskyLima's Groups
Hey All, It seems the answer is simple - You MUST have a box surrounding your map with the skybox texture on the inside of it. I skipped this step as it seemed to create a skybox without it just using the wordspawn KVPs  but indeed I was wrong. Even an indoor map like mine must have a box around it acting like the skybox if you are using sunlight in anyway.

Hopefuly this will help others with the same problem.
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
Hey All, It seems the answer is simple - You MUST have a box surrounding your map with the skybox texture on the inside of it. I skipped this step as it seemed to create a skybox without it just using the wordspawn KVPs  but indeed I was wrong. Even an indoor map like mine must have a box around it acting like the skybox if you are using sunlight in anyway.

Hopefuly this will help others with the same problem.
may not need the sky texture, but do need at least a caulk box yes

Loading ...