UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

[Discuss] People bugging mappers for betas...

POLLHOT
broken avatar :(
Created 10 years ago
by treminaor

Poll

Question: Vote on this forum addition

Yes, add it.
48 (98%)
No, don't add it.
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
If Java had true garbage collection, most programs would delete themselves upon execution.
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
Lately we have seen a lot of mappers become frustrated and annoyed because their WIP topics keep receiving replies from people asking to play a beta of an unfinished map, without any regard for if the mapper has asked for testers or if the map is even in a playable state yet. While some of these replies are from people who genuinely want to help find bugs in the map, the majority of them are just from people trying to play a map early and don't care about giving the mapper any feedback.

I came up with an idea today that I wanted to run by you guys and see if you think it would help solve the problem and see if you would take advantage of this system as a mapper.

Here is the idea:
  • I add a button to the top of the first post of a WIP topic (near the reply, notify, etc buttons) called "Request Beta Tester Access". When clicked, this will sign up the user as a beta tester for the WIP topic. No notification of this will be sent to the mapper since I understand the primary issue with people requesting beta access is the annoyance of receiving topic reply and pm notifications from them.
  • The mapper can view a complete list of all people who have clicked the request beta button, along with timestamps so that you can tell the order in which people have signed up and how long ago it was.
  • The mapper can enable and disable the "Request Beta Access" button at any time via a checkbox the edit page of the first post of the topic.
  • We add a forum rule that you are not allowed to post a reply to a WIP topic asking for a beta/download/test privilege. Any replies made for this purpose will be deleted and the user will receive a warning, just like they would for breaking any other rule.

So what are your guys' thoughts on this? Do you think it would help? Do you think it's a waste of our time? Mappers, would you use this system? Would you find this useful?

I also had an idea about adding some sort of rep system for mappers to use to rate a tester with a +1 or a -1 for if they were a useful beta tester, so that other mappers can identify which testers would be most genuine about being helpful. This would probably be a lot of work to implement.

Also keep in mind I have not coded any of this yet so it will probably take some days/weeks/etc to get anything up and running for this.

- UGX-Mods Forum Staff
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Donate to me if you enjoy my work. https://www.paypal.me/thezombiekilla6
Dust's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
I personally love this idea! I am also sick of seeing people go on to my WIP's(and others) asking for beta access. This will definitely clear up half of the replies on peoples WIPS. That also makes it easier for us to choose who we want to give the beta to and who we dont want to give the people to. Most of the people who request beta access are less than 50 posts and are just noobs who want the map early
Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 10:07:06 pm by thezombiekilla6
The Doctor
Date Registered: 26 March 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
timelordalex's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
timelordalex's Contact & Social Links
I do agree I'm tired of seeing noobs ignoring everything on the WiP and just asking for a beta which in their minds is early access before anyone else, but i dont think a button even at the top of the WiP would stand out to them, they would still comment, but least a warning to them should let them know
RadihaX
Date Registered: 2 September 2012
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Overrun
Lockdown
Overrun (Black Ops Mod)
Snowglobe
Leviathan
Abandoned School
Ski Resort
Leviathan Redux
JBird632's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
JBird632's Contact & Social LinksJBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632JBird632Mapper
Right on Trem, this would be a great feature to the forum.
[UGX] Maintainer (Admin & Programmer)
Date Registered: 29 August 2012
Last active: 2 hours ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Dolphin!
Signature
changed one line of code, bug is fixed

Coming to work on monday morning.
When a bug mysteriously disappears.

:ugxmods: Developer ;)
Delta's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX Chat Moderator Has the ability to mute, kick, or ban chat members for being abusive or breaking the rules of the forum.
UGX Site Moderator Has the ability to issue warnings to users, edit and remove posts from the forum and to move topics to other boards. Upholds the rules of the forum. Moderates Chat Rooms.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Delta's Contact & Social Linksthe-deltaugxDeltaItsDeltaigDelta igdeltaigdeltaUGX_DeltaDelta#6147Personal Site
I see possibilities ...  :troll:
Date Registered: 28 July 2013
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Pizza that is all.
Signature
There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap.
SoulTaker's Groups
SoulTaker's Contact & Social Links
I love the idea. Nothing is worse then people asking for download links or to beta test a W.I.P map it's disrespectful  in my opinion. W.I.P is meant to show off how a map looks and for feedback. Although the majority of the people who ask for beta access are just people who usually just download maps and don't ever try to talk to people on here.
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Dust's Groups
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
wow 5 to 0, ya i think its unanimous. everyone wants this
Date Registered: 19 August 2012
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Mapper
Signature
Maker of Contrivance
Psych's Groups
Psych's Contact & Social Links
This is an excellent idea. I do find it annoying that most of the replies on some WIP's are just people asking for access. idk when or why it started but it can definitely be frustrating.
Date Registered: 17 August 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Web & Software Developer and Designer
Signature
"Deleted code is debugged code." - Jeff Sickel
"Mathematicians stand on each others' shoulders and computer scientists stand on each others' toes." - Richard Hamming
JR-Imagine's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Great idea, getting on my nerves reading through stuff and seeing half of it is people asking to beta test. I sense tons of warnings coming soon to those who don't read rules. :poker:
  • n123q45
  • Deleted Member
n123q45
This user is deleted :(
Its a great idea as long as you make a rule that forbids asking people for betas in the chat  :alone:
Date Registered: 21 March 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
I the Mighty
ConvictioNDR's Groups
Sounds like a good idea so long as the rep system for it actually gets used properly.
Swag Commander ( ͡
Date Registered: 12 January 2014
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
Dat feel when anims "fall from sky" ;)
CyberMan1011's Groups
CyberMan1011's Contact & Social Linkscyberman1011
Great idea
[UGX] Founder
Date Registered: 24 June 2011
Respect
6,691Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
UGX Administrator
My Groups
More
More
treminaor's Groups
UGX Administrator
UGX Team Member
Sounds like a good idea so long as the rep system for it actually gets used properly.
Maybe the way to manage that aspect would be to only allow Communtiy Mappers (or Elites?) to use the rep system so that newb mappers aren't just +1ing everyone who signed up.
Date Registered: 21 March 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
Personal Quote
I the Mighty
ConvictioNDR's Groups
Maybe the way to manage that aspect would be to only allow Communtiy Mappers (or Elites?) to use the rep system so that newb mappers aren't just +1ing everyone who signed up.
That could work. I don't know how many elite mappers there is, so I don't know what making it elite only would do in the amount of rep given. I say it's worth a shot to make beta rep community\elite mappers only.
Maybe a little extra added would be a field the person wanting the beta can fill out stating the reason they want to beta test. I know I would already send a message asking that question so it would save some time and make it a little easier to weed out the "map look awsum i wana play" people. The rep and the reason they give can be displayed under the person's name on the list.
Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:37:26 am by ConvictioNDR
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
I like the idea, even though nobody asks betas in my maps  :alone: Oh well, I think the rep system should be allowed to those, who have  community title and/or over 250 posts. Some people are great mappers and such, but few things might ruin them from getting the title, so they can prove themselves in other way

Loading ...