My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
Its official, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 computers for a year after its release. Obvious exception is if your computer has outdated hardware/software.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

Apparently Microsoft hasn't decided what to do after that year is up so its still possible that they are going to charge for the upgrade, but in all honesty i don't see them charging anything considering MOST people will just upgrade while its free, so they won't be making much off of it anyway.

While i'm extremely excited for Windows 10, i'm also still a bit nervous since once you upgrade, your stuck with Windows 10 which i may or may not actually like.

So, what is everyone else's take on Windows 10?
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 4 August 2014
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
MechromancerX's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
MechromancerX's Contact & Social Links
Well, i might consider upgrading my windows 95 to 98 but i'm not sure yet, so i'm definately gonna wait a while until stepping over to windows 10 (may take a few years (+-23)).
Date Registered: 8 June 2013
Last active: 3 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Welcome to Luketown
sevengpluke's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
sevengpluke's Contact & Social Linksdalukesevengplukesevengplukesevengplukesevengpluke
Its official, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 computers for a year after its release. Obvious exception is if your computer has outdated hardware/software.

Source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2873214/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-windows-7-and-8-users.html

Apparently Microsoft hasn't decided what to do after that year is up so its still possible that they are going to charge for the upgrade, but in all honesty i don't see them charging anything considering MOST people will just upgrade while its free, so they won't be making much off of it anyway.

While i'm extremely excited for Windows 10, i'm also still a bit nervous since once you upgrade, your stuck with Windows 10 which i may or may not actually like.

So, what is everyone else's take on Windows 10?

Windows 10 seems like an great improvement over windows 8. I may switch from win7 to windows 10 9 months after release.
Date Registered: 17 January 2014
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Signature
If you want scripts / features made for you, then contact me by PM or email / skype etc
it will cost you tho so if you have no intention of reciprocating don't even waste my time ;)
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
Harry Bo21's Contact & Social Links[email protected]HarryBo21HarryBo000
they did this, or stupidly cheap upgrades for EVERY windows release so far btw...
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
they did this, or stupidly cheap upgrades for EVERY windows release so far btw...

::)

Right... because paying $100+ for a new OS is "cheap" when you can get other OSs like Linux for free...

Well, i might consider upgrading my windows 95 to 98 but i'm not sure yet, so i'm definately gonna wait a while until stepping over to windows 10 (may take a few years (+-23)).

lmao nice one.

Windows 10 seems like an great improvement over windows 8. I may switch from win7 to windows 10 9 months after release.

Same. I don't feel like installing a potentially buggy OS when i know Windows 7 works perfectly fine. I'm personally just gonna wait a few weeks and let other people install it and see what they have to say.

Not that i expect anything to go wrong, i installed the insider preview on a second HDD and everything worked almost flawlessly - even graphics drivers.

Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:06:17 am by daedra descent
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
my vista to 7 update was $10...

my 7 to 8 update was $15...

both coz of offers in the "first year" after release of the new OS...
Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:25:51 am by Harry Bo21
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
my vista to 7 update was $10...

my 7 to 8 update was $15...

both coz of offers in the "first year" after release of the new OS...

Regardless of the 1 year discount, its still more expensive than free linux OSs.
Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:47:40 am by daedra descent
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
Well, I've just upgraded to the newest preview build and i'm a bit disappointed.

The new build features Cortana but she doesn't work 80% of the time so shes more of a taskbar space hog than anything else. There doesn't seem to be a way to get rid of her and the search box on the task bar unless you use the small icon option which REALLY sucks.

As for the start menu, it looks like crap in comparison to the original one and now you can't make the menu bigger for some idiotic reason. You also have to hover your mouse over the apps section of the menu and scroll up or down to navigate the menu which may not sound like a bad idea at first but if you use a crap load of apps like i do on my tablet your going to be scrolling through that start menu a lot. All around, its step backward in just about every possible way.

Windows 10 now has a half-ass decent control panel(YAY!) but it feels like it limits you on what you can actually do. I guess the new control panel is OK if your an 80 year old grandma who doesn't know crap about computers, but if your someone who does, this new control panel is a disappointment and a slap in the face.

And last but certainly not least, DIRECTX 12 IS FINALLY HERE - kinda of. While dxdiag reports DirextX 12 being installed, i personally doubt that its the final build that will ship with the final version of Windows 10.

Just for the hell of it, i installed L4D in Windows 10 and i did see a slight increase in FPS which is probably because the OS is lighter on resources than Windows 7.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot. MS's new web browser engine is also included in the new build. It doesn't play very nice though with some websites just yet. Its slightly faster than the current IE engine.
Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:19:19 am by daedra descent
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
I didnt expect it to be great, but putting windows 7 aside for a minute, its a improvement on windows 8 right?
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
I didnt expect it to be great, but putting windows 7 aside for a minute, its a improvement on windows 8 right?

Eh, I wouldn't really know since the only Windows 8 device I have is the HP Stream 7 tablet.

However, Windows 10 does fix some of Microsofts screw-ups that people complained a lot about, like having to navigate through 3 different applications just to change some basic system settings and not having a start menu for desktop users.

Here are some pictures:

New control panel main menu:

New start menu:

New Store app - currently in beta

Full desktop:

The giant search area next to the start button is actually cortona.

Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 06:32:42 am by daedra descent
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
lol, well it does look "better"

Still seriously lacking though

Theres a whole bunch of things that require multiple app "surfing" (i like to call it) on win 8, that just makes no sense

well, keep trying it, and let us know performance wise how it turns out for you :)
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
well, keep trying it, and let us know performance wise how it turns out for you :)

Well, my ram usage in Windows 10 is 2.5GB while in Windows 7 its 3.5GB, so if you are using a windows 7 computer with 2 or 4GB of ram your going to  see a huge increase in performance without a doubt.

Tried a few more games... almost all of them perform better in Windows 10 than they do in Windows 7 and once the OS releases officially GPU manufacturers will create OS specific drivers that might increase performance even more - but we most likely won't see them until the OS actually releases.

Microsoft has also launched a recovery website for Windows 7 users who accidentally updated to Windows 10. Basically you enter your recovery key and they'll provide you with an ISO that you can use to reinstall the OS.

It looks like Microsoft plans on using Windows Update to offer Windows 10 to Windows 7 and 8 users which makes the whole install process quick and painless.

Date Registered: 18 October 2013
Last active: 12 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Perk Hacker
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
eliudjb's Groups
eliudjb's Contact & Social Linkseliudjbeliudjbeliudjb
I bought my laptop almost 2 years ago with Windows 8 and still have that version (even with a lot of reminders for update to W8.1 :yeah: )

So, when Miscrosoft Released W10 oficially, I'm gonna update W8 to 8.1 and then to 10, a few weeks after of course.
Date Registered: 7 October 2013
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Unannounced Map
40%
DarkWhiss's Groups
DarkWhiss's Contact & Social LinksBabaMayDarkWhiss
So you will get windows 10 through windows update? If you don't need anything else in order to upgrade thats awesome.
Respect
1,004Add +1
Forum Rank
Immortal
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Harry Bo21's Groups
no youll need to install it purposefully, it wont be a "auto" update

The auto updates will just be security fixes and things that are "also" in win 10, so youll need to chose to install win 10 itself yourself

Loading ...