UGX-Mods Login

or login with an authentication provider below
Sign In with Google
Sign In with Twitter
Sign In with Discord
Sign In with Steam
Sign In with Facebook
Sign In with Twitch

[40/40] Leviathan - When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you.

HOT
broken avatar :(
Created 9 years ago
by tomikaze
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access

Creators: AwesomePieMan, HexZombies, JBird632 & RadimaX

Setting: And so it begins... You find yourself in a small room with only the Pack-a-Punch machine and a MP5K on the wall, too bad you don’t have enough money for either. You look around further but within seconds you are ejected out into the cold waters of the deep and dropped down beside an ocean floor research facility. Sharks swim around you sizing up their next meal. You notice a sign above your head which reads “Reception”, you stagger toward it, you need air badly  and things are going dim. Your chest is tight, you can’t take it anymore and you prepared to breathe in the salty frigid water if it will just end the pain. You inhale, but instead of water air fills your lungs. You've made it! You grab a PES (Pressurized External Suit) and go through the doors in front of you.
Yea, this is just the beginning. This has all the feel of James Cameron’s The Abyss meets Deep Blue Sea (yes, I love that movie). It is an underwater homage to the Black Ops I map Moon and stays true to its source material in a very respectful but ambitious manner.

Positives: This map perfectly captures being inside an underwater facility in every way imaginable and it looks amazing doing it. Every area is detailed exactly the way it needs to be done. Maybe my favorite moment which embodies this map for me was when I was in one of the clear glass tunnels taking in the amazing detail of the sea floor and other buildings around me and then out of the corner of my eye I saw a shark swim by just minding its own business. It was awe-inspiring to say the least.
The map is massive, probably the biggest map ever created in the custom zombie world and detailed in a way that tells me that some serious studying and research went into making this undersea world come alive. Nothing is overkill either, not every square foot of the map is covered in circuit boards, blood marks and rust stains. It would be easy to go overboard here and to think that enough is never enough, but the detailing is done just right with emphasis placed where it needs to be.
There is also a fully developed quest that you can go on if you’d like to complete the map. It is completely audio driven which keeps you more engrossed in the story than reading text on your screen. The voice acting is good, if a bit over the top, but as a big fan of B-movies I love me some good sci-fi overacting any day of the week. For a guy stuck in an aquatic stasis tube for months on end that guy can sure belt it out with some serious passion.
Lastly, the guns on the map are made up entirely of JBird’s Black Ops I mod which means that you have a very solid weapon set, but the guns are so familiar you’ll be thinking less about the guns and more about the map itself – possibly an intentional move on the part of the mappers.

Negatives: There are a couple issues with this map that I’ve got to mention. There have been many times that while booting the map up you’ll be given error messages causing the map to not start, there may be times that you load the map up and all you see is a gun floating in the air, you may also start the map and be unable to see how many perks you have or what powerup drops are floating in the air. Hear this though; all of these problems can be fixed by a simple reboot.
I also have heard that the map may crash during gameplay but this should be few and far between. If you want to get the maximum FPS you can tweak a graphical setting but this will cause massive amounts of pop-in to take place. This was rather distracting. Otherwise, going for lower FPS will reward you with near perfect visuals.
Lastly, in this category, for those people wanting the latest arsenal of high tech weaponry you won’t find it here, if you can forgive this though or really like BOI guns then disregard.
It would have also been VERY nice to be able to complete the objective with less than 4 players because who the heck has 3 friends out there, right?

Conclusion: There have been large maps made before, there have also been maps made with a high level of detail and there have been maps made with lengthy objectives as well; but never has a map been so large and so detailed and still maintained an obsessive level of commitment to quality, presentation and storytelling.

Level of Detail: 10/10
Custom Content: 10/10
Fun Scale: 10/10
Replayability: 10/10

Score: 40/40

Note: I was trying to think of where to take a point off of if I was going to take one off, but I still feel that with what's currently wrong with the map that it's still a 10 in each of these categories.
Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:05:21 pm by tomikaze
Date Registered: 4 August 2014
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
MechromancerX's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
MechromancerX's Contact & Social Links
Nice review Tomikaze, so it looks that 40/40 is truly possible ;)
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Donate to me if you enjoy my work. https://www.paypal.me/thezombiekilla6
Dust's Groups
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
There have been many times that while booting the map up you’ll be given error messages causing the map to not start

That sadly is World at Wars fault. Happens with any map, but the more custom scripts that are in the map, the more often it happens.

Great review though! My only real complaint is that you cannot complete the easter egg with less than 4 players.
Date Registered: 28 July 2013
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Enslaver
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Pizza that is all.
Signature
There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap.
SoulTaker's Groups
SoulTaker's Contact & Social Links
Nice review man. I agree while I have many friends they rather play on consoles and it's hard to find 3 other people who all have the same time to play WAW zombies cause some of us are busy with life sometimes wish they change it to at least two people but if not I understand it's their map.
☭ Soviet Commander ☭
Date Registered: 13 August 2012
Last active: 8 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Community Daedra
My Groups
More
More
Signature
Let's keep this thread on topic from here on in. -DBZ

+1 to off-topic reply -DBZ

lmao. Too funny.

Goliath Script Placer: http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,11234.msg125257/topicseen.html#new

"...Christ, people. Learn C, instead of just stringing random characters
together until it compiles (with warnings)..."

-Linus Torvalds
daedra descent's Groups
Community Daedra
Community Daedra
daedra descent's Contact & Social LinksBlueSoviet
lol, map has negatives but still gets a perfect 40/40 score. Thats some IGN grade bullshit right there xD.

Oh well your opinion is your own and i of course respect that even if i don't agree with it.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
tomikaze's Groups
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
lol, map has negatives but still gets a perfect 40/40 score. Thats some IGN grade bullshit right there xD.

Oh well your opinion is your own and i of course respect that even if i don't agree with it.
Daedra, you can't call someone's opinion "bullshit" and then pretend like you respect it. Just own up to your opinion and stop trying to back out like a pussy.
drago
Date Registered: 5 July 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
More
jjbradman's Groups
jjbradman's Contact & Social Linksjjbradmanjjbradmanjjbradman
Daedra, you can't call someone's opinion "bullshit" and then pretend like you respect it.
irony, irony everywhere
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 39 minutes ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Signature
The greatest failure is not to try and fail, but is to fail without trying.
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
I feel that you exaggerated ranking a bit. After all, i think that no map is perfect.
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
tomikaze's Groups
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
I feel that you exaggerated ranking a bit. After all, i think that no map is perfect.
If there is no possible way to get a 40/40 then we shouldn't even hold it out there as the goal to achieve. Compared to  other maps out there that have gotten very high scores I feel this map out does them all and goes further still.
Date Registered: 11 May 2013
Last active: 2 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT
Signature
DeathBringerZen's Groups
Based on what the categories are for reviewing a map, Level of Detail, Custom Content, Fun Scale and Replayability, I agree with this review 100%

This map is easily the best custom map made to date. It is a near perfect replication of a Treyarch map, and could easily have been a DLC map, albeit it would obviously have looked a little more polished due to the upgraded BO1 Radiant, but this is without a doubt the closest you will get to an official map.

It looks amazing, it has as much custom content as you could possibly dream of, is super fun to play and has tons of reply value. This is what it's all about. 40/40 is only fitting. As for the errors and issues, they can be addressed and I am sure will over time.

For those who disagree, what do you think is deserving of 40/40? Treyarch maps? If so then I hate to break it to you, but even with dozens, possibly hundreds of people involved in their maps productions, they are also broken and riddled with issues and they never get fixed up enough to consider perfect.
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
Going by the categories it's fully deserving of the full 40/40, it's the best map to have been released in the CZ scene by a stretch. However if there was a category for bugginess in it's current state it would get a 6-7 at best.. :-\
JbirdHaX
Date Registered: 12 March 2012
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
(_̅(_̅м̅a̅я̅i̅j̅u̅a̅n̅a̅_̅0 ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้
Signature
▒█▀▄▀█ ░█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▀█▀ ▀▀█▀▀ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█▒█▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀  ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█░░ ▒█░ ░▒█░░ ▒█▀▀▀
▒█░░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█  ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█▄▄ ▄█▄ ░▒█░░ ▒█▄▄▄
RadimaX's Groups
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha

This is true, trayarch and all the other companys have hundreds of people making and testing maps & still release very broken content even for real money. Our map have some shortcomings but its nothing that cannot be fixed, we take feedback into account and make a list of the biggest or smallest issues and scripts. Layout and construction of the map with zones and areas inside or outside is made just like it should be. But the smallest spelling error or variables in the scripts can make the weapons or events in the map do some mysterious things, Those are the ones we will look at and fix for the patch release.

I hope everyone enjoys what we created and if your personal opinions are different then tomikazes make you own review of how terrible it must to get forced to play a completely optional and free map with so many issues :)
Date Registered: 22 February 2013
Last active: 6 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Pack-a-Puncher
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
Personal Quote
Every map needs a Panzer Soldat
Signature
HexPieRadiBirds Magical Fun Time Water Hole
AwesomePieMan's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
AwesomePieMan's Contact & Social Links
My only real complaint is that you cannot complete the easter egg with less than 4 players.
That's changing in the next update.  A bunch of bugs will be fixed as well.
The King of Zombies
Date Registered: 24 June 2013
Respect
Forum Rank
King of the Zombies
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
More
Dust's Groups
Dust's Contact & Social LinksMrZ0mbiesFanaticdust103194MrZ0mbiesFanatic
That's changing in the next update.  A bunch of bugs will be fixed as well.

FINALLY our prayers have been answered
JbirdHaX
Date Registered: 12 March 2012
Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Mapper Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
(_̅(_̅м̅a̅я̅i̅j̅u̅a̅n̅a̅_̅0 ด้้้้้็็็็็้้้้้็็็็็้
RadimaX's Groups
Community Mapper Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom mapping in the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Google latest burgertown dlc glitches :) then come back to this review hehe

Loading ...