Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
My Contact & Social Links
More
HitmanVere's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This user has access to the Black Ops 3 Modtools Alpha
So, I have tried doing portaling my map. Started small on one of the buildings, made brush filling windows (portal no draw), made sure to make brushes, that are in way detail, textured outside faces with blue portal texture on all portal no draw brushes. When I was done, I decided to compile the map and every portal gives same size on both sides error  >:( What am I doing wrong here?
This topic contains a post which is marked as the Best Answer. Click here to view it.
broken avatar :(
Date Registered: 17 December 2013
Last active: 1 year ago
Respect
1,404Add +1
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Community Scripter Elite
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
It aint much, if it aint Dutch
Signature
BluntStuffy's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Community Scripter Elite Has shown excellence and experience in the area of custom scripting in the UGX-Mods community.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
BluntStuffy's Contact & Social LinksBluntstuffy@BluntZombieBluntStuffyStuffyZombie
Think that means it has a hole somewhere.

You prob allready did, but these vids cover everything. it's just pretty nasty to get right...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjv0spc9zs4
Date Registered: 14 September 2013
Last active: 4 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
Signature
MakeCents's Groups
Community Mapper Has released one or more maps to the UGX-Mods community which have been added to the UGX Map Manager.
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
You got a print screen/screen shot of the error? I want to say that it is saying you have two structural representations on opposite sides of the portal brush, portal draw. If that is what it is saying, it simply means that you can't have the green portal texture on opposite sides of the same brush.

I made this example of simple to semi-complex portaling methods a few months ago:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ouc1g03jjblu90o/portal_example.map

I hope that was the right link, lol. Let me know if it isn't. It should be a map file with a couple rooms, holes in ceilings and a balcony. It uses two different styes and caulk to see through the walls to show you what portaling is doing, as shown in some of blackjackjonnyy's vids.

Blunts link is where I started to learn about portaling too, and his vids are great. He goes over two methods and is very detailed with portaling and terrain editing.

Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:45:04 pm by MakeCents
Date Registered: 25 June 2013
Last active: 8 months ago
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
I could show how I do it with error:

House:

Detail filtered:

Made portal no draw brushes in windows and all open spots, then make outside faces blue portal texture aaaand....

Errors:

I will check those stuff out, although I already am checking that prefab out, did portaling same, except I didnt do whole brush inside the house, but when I did, I still get those errors

Update: See that house on left? It has two windows, added portals to that, its working fine...
Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:23:05 pm by HitmanVere
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
MakeCents's Groups
Community Scripter Has shown effort and knowledge in the area of scripting while being a part of the UGX-Mods community.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha

This error says you have two green portal textures touching, or on opposites sides of the same brush, or is touching a structural brush.

find the portal that says this by its corrodinates, one at a time, make it yellow portal, no draw, then change the outside texture only on one side of the portal brush to green texture. Do this for each one, and don't let two brushes with green on facing sides. don't use green when facing a strutural wall either, or floor, or ceiling.
Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:25:21 pm by MakeCents
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
This error says you have two green portal textures touching, or on opposites sides of the same brush, or is touching a structural brush.

find the portal that says this by its corrodinates, one at a time, make it yellow portal, no draw, then change the outside texture only on one side of the portal brush to green texture. Do this for each one, and don't let two brushes with green on facing sides. don't use green when facing a strutural wall either, or floor, or ceiling.

You mean blue texture? :D
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
MakeCents's Groups
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
You mean blue texture? :D

If by blue you mean the green one that just says Portal on it, yes, lol. I see green, but I can see how it looks blue too.

PS when portaling it makes it easier to filter out things that are not structural
Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 02:31:58 pm by MakeCents
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
If by blue you mean the green one that just says Portal on it, yes, lol. I see green, but I can see how it looks blue too.

PS when portaling it makes it easier to filter out things that are not structural

I tried the thing multiple times, doesnt work  :-\ Only works on one building, that has only two windows though
Marked as best answer by HitmanVere 9 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Destroyer
Primary Group
Community Scripter
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
BE ORIGINAL
MakeCents's Groups
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
I tried the thing multiple times, doesnt work  :-\ Only works on one building, that has only two windows though

I'm sorry to hear that. I can go over a few basic things I do when portaling:

- I filter out everything but my structural brushes for walls, floors, and ceilings.

- I start with my windows and doors, with yellow no draw brush, in a easy small room, then texturing the green (blue) Portal brush only on the outside of the room portal brushes, one room at a time (compiling after each room).

- I then compile to check for leaks for my first room, just in case I moved a wall or something didn't line up...

- It checks the portaling pretty early in the process, so once that goes through, I just end the compile, and move onto the next room, if no errors were there.

- When I get to open areas in my map, outside, I make a yellow portal no draw brush, that touches the structural wall of my inside map and structural ground of my outside map. Terrains don't count, but caulk brushes can be used under those. Then I Portal (green or blue) the outside of it. Then I split the brush in half, long ways (perpendicular do structural wall), and make sure the split part, where they touch, on both brushes, is yellow portal no draw. (Just to get started)

Doing one room at a time will show you what is not right, and you will learn cheats by doing these two methods, when needed.

Edit:
Once you have completed the basic portaling without errors you can begin more advanced portaling by splitting the larger portal brushes outside, optimizing what is drawn based on what the player can see from one room to another. Yellow portal no draw brushes can be added inside, and then split as well. Be careful when splitting brushes to only texture one opposing side of each brush green/blue Portal texture. This may require multiple splits of one brush. These green Portal textures act as vision blockers. If you don't see the face, it doesn't draw what is behind it. But these textures must be sealed. No leaks/light can let in and must be covered, by a structural brush, or a green brush. Yellow will merely continue your allowable drawn area.

Edit:
Portaling texture DOS and DON'TS:

DO:
 - Touch portal yellow no draw face to another portal yellow no draw face.
 - Touch portal yellow no draw face to a structural brush face.
 - Expose green Portal face to open air
 - Touch green Portal face to portal yellow no draw face.

DON'T:
 - Expose portal yellow no draw face to open air.
 - Touch green Portal face to green Portal face.
 - Touch green Portal face to structural brush face.
Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:42:59 pm by MakeCents
Respect
1,024Add +1
Forum Rank
Eviscerator
Primary Group
UGX V.I.P.
My Groups
More
More
HitmanVere's Groups
UGX V.I.P.
UGX V.I.P.
BO3 Modtools Alpha
BO3 Modtools Alpha
Well, I decided to revive this topic with how I got portaling working flawlessly :P
Filters are easy way out. Codmoddd helped me figure out some basics and then I decided to mess around with filters.
Errors happened, cos I didnt completely filter stuff out and one spot had leak basically.
Since portals are affected by structurals and reflection_nodes, these you want to filter out:
detail, terrain, static_models and weaponclip. Then its piece of cake to portal the map :P

Like Make said:
- I filter out everything but my structural brushes for walls, floors, and ceilings.

So I guess you get Marked then :)

Loading ...