Last active: 11 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
My Contact & Social Links
More
ShotgunRagtime's Contact & Social LinksShotgunRagtime

Have you ever gotten lost in a supermarket? Maybe in a parking lot? Or how about the woods? Ever lost your car keys?

How about lost in a giant maze infested with zombies?

Labyrinth attempts to translate the endless frustration of losing your car keys into video game format, proving once-and-for-all that there is no such thing as fun, and that games should be work.

So now we can all stop bitching about losing our car keys.

Wait, where was I going with this? Oh, right, a review:

DETAIL [4/10]

I mean, look, it’s not a box map. So that’s 3 points for effort. The other 1 point comes from the little ridges on the tops of the walls, they look pretty nice.

Aside from that little aesthetic touch, the long hallways are empty, much like a young boy’s heart after a middle-school rejection. Just begging for some love, some attention. Alas, none is given.

Actually, the most bothersome thing is the lack of any real lighting. It’s just your bland, fullbright WAW sky. I mean come on, can we at least get some romantic “mood” lighting? Like a pretty sunset? Or a majestic morning sunrise?

Hell, even making the map pitch-black and forcing players to stumble around in the dark like morons would’ve been more exciting.

CUSTOM CONTENT [8/10]

Alright, I’ll admit it, I have a problem. The default Zombies weapons just don’t, y’know, DO it for me anymore.

I need guns that I HAVEN’T used in a map before. Nothing else entices me. And I don’t just mean the basic WAW guns, I mean the BO1/2 guns that I’ve used even more!

Geez, I’m like a drug addict who just moved from meth to freaking tar heroin. I NEED something better, man!

Fortunately, this map delivers with some of the BEST ports I’ve seen in a while. There’s some really interesting weapons in this one -- the MSMC, the CEL-3, and even the Storm-PSR! And that’s just to name a few.

All of the weapons are well-done, and none have nearly as many issues as I do (well, the STG does have a hole in the model, but it’s small, ok?)

Rounding it all off are a couple of custom powerups, a brand-new perk, and a weapon disposal thingy. The powerups are very fun: one gives you unlimited ammo, and the other grants you bullettime.

Unfortunately, the custom announcer is just… uh, bad. Sorry. I mean, it’s nice for the mapper to give a shoutout to a smaller Youtuber (who’s quite skilled) with this opportunity, but he just sounds very British and it breaks my immersion.

The new perk (Multiplier Milkshake) is cool, but waaay too OP. I’ll talk more about that later.

There's also a weapon disposal machine that will toss you 200 points when you slot your weapon in. It's not much compared to the massive amount of cash you'll be accumulating later on, but it's a small boon that might help in the early stages of the map.

FUN SCALE [7/10]

Labyrinth is fun. It really is. But it’s just let down by the fact that it’s easier than a high-school hoe on prom night. Yeah, the map starts out a bit tricky, but once you reach the pyramid in the center of the map (which can be accomplished quite quickly) it’s GG. You can run trains for days without the slightest fear of reprisal from your shuffling friends.

At the pyramid you can teleport to a “gift shop” to buy two very powerful, very expensive weapons, hit the PaP, or upgrade your perk capacity. This is nice, until you realize how cake it is to build points.

Multiplier Milkshake is actually broken. Seriously, it is -- it TRIPLES the amount of points you get upon the kill shot. So that means you’ll be getting 300! points per headshot, and a whopping 600 if there’s a double points on! At that rate you’ll be as rich as Donald Trump in just minutes, literally accumulating 25k + points during a single round!

At that point there’s nothing left to do except sigh as you easily wipe 25 zombies in seconds with a Storm PSR while your point-counter has a stroke. I guess you could try to do the easter egg, but I couldn’t figure out how to even start it. And I’m pretty sure that the reward is only a paltry PaP’d Tommy Gun, which will be worthless compared to your current armaments.

REPLAYABILITY [5/10]

Not much to say here. Play it again if you missed some guns the first time, or if you just want to experience being completely OP again. That would be a fun challenge: see how quickly you can acquire all of the perks and the PaP’d versions of the Storm, CEL, and Ray Gun.

All-in-all, Labyrinth is a good map held back by a lack of difficulty and detail. I hope that the mapper translates the same custom content into a more challenging and pretty map the next time around, but this one is still worth your time.

DETAIL [4/10]
CUSTOM CONTENT [8/10]
FUN SCALE [7/10]
REPLAYABILITY [5/10]

OVERALL: [24/40] -- Worth Playing

http://ugx-mods.com/forum/index.php/topic,7733.0.html
Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:03:59 am by ShotgunRagtime
broken avatar :(
  • steviewonder87
  • Deleted Member
steviewonder87
This user is deleted :(
Good review. :) Hope to see more from you.
Date Registered: 21 February 2014
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
Good review. :) Hope to see more from you.
Thanks! You can count on it  ;)
Date Registered: 27 August 2012
Last active: 4 months ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Zombie Colossus
Primary Group
Custom Map Reviewer
My Groups
More
More
Personal Quote
Tommy Wonka & the Idea Factory
tomikaze's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
Custom Map Reviewer Has permission to post map review topics in the Custom Map Reviews section of the forum.
Oil Rig Beta Access
Oil Rig Beta Access
WOAH!!! Where did this review come from?! You kept me giggling the whole way through man. Good work :D
Date Registered: 20 June 2014
Last active: 15 hours ago
Respect
Forum Rank
The Decider
Primary Group
Personal Quote
Behold the power of Mirror Force
Signature
The greatest failure is not to try and fail, but is to fail without trying.
Ramiabdh's Groups
Ramiabdh's Contact & Social Links
Between any reviews done here on ugx, this is the type of reviews I like most!! :D Good Job
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
Between any reviews done here on ugx, this is the type of reviews I like most!! :D Good Job
WOAH!!! Where did this review come from?! You kept me giggling the whole way through man. Good work :D
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the support ;D

Expect to see a review for Industrial Estate by tomorrow  8)
Date Registered: 26 March 2014
Last active: 3 years ago
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
Donator ♥
My Groups
More
MJPWGaming's Groups
Donator ♥ Benevolent Soul who has our eternal gratitude and exclusive access to betas and the donator section of the forum.
MJPWGaming's Contact & Social Links
Thanks for the review! I enjoy the open opinions and no holding back, I really do.

Yes theres ups and downs but no map is EVER perfect :P

Oh yeah by the way you get 200 points when you dispose of your weapon :)

Again thanks for the review the feedback is noticed
Respect
Forum Rank
Mr. Elemental
Primary Group
More
Thanks for the review! I enjoy the open opinions and no holding back, I really do.

Yes theres ups and downs but no map is EVER perfect :P

Oh yeah by the way you get 200 points when you dispose of your weapon :)

Again thanks for the review the feedback is noticed
Thanks for the response!

I feel like I ought to point out -- to you and anyone else reading -- that 24/40 is NOT a low score. At least not by my standards. I'd honestly give most maps a 10-15, and sometimes that's generous.

Labyrinth is a very solid effort for a first map; as stated in the review, I'm very excited to see how your skills at generating custom content will carry over to the next map.

Also, thank you for pointing out my error with the weapon disposal, I honestly didn't notice the extra 200 on my playthrough lol. I will amend the review accordingly  :)

Loading ...